A to Z Diseases
A case of Fibromyalgia:-
Help!!! Doctor, please help me in getting rid of my pain, cried Mrs. Sharma*. I keep getting these pains, my whole body aches, my body parts are so sensitive that I wince with pains with slightest of touch; I can’t sleep because of pain. I always feel tired and irritated. My family does not believe me, they have taken me too many doctors and got all sort of investigations done but they all say nothing is wrong with me.
This is the story of not only Mrs. Sharma but many others, especially women. They are suffering from Fibromyalgia
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia (fibro= fibrous tissue, myo = muscles, algia= aches or pain) is a chronic rheumatic syndrome characterized by wide spread body pains, stiffness and tenderness. The pain may be so severe that the entire body appears to be hurt and bruised. Along with pain there is sleeplessness, fatigue and restlessness. There is a heightened sensitivity to pain and persons can complain about tender or sore points on the body.
Cause: The exact cause for fibromyalgia is not known though there are many theories floated towards it. However it is agreed that there is malfunction of brain and nervous system response to pain and pressure stimulus leading to over sensitiveness towards pain. The following factors are considered to trigger or increase fibromyalgia:
- Stress– physical or emotional stress is one of the major factor to trigger
- Traumaor Injuries especially repeated injuries
- Hereditary– a positive family history is found in majority of cases leading to suspect genes playing a major role.
- Gender– women are more prone to Fibromyalgia compared to men
- Sedentary life style
- Sleep deprivation
- Psychological reasons like Depression and Anxiety
- Irritable Bowel Disorder
The most important symptom of Fibromyalgia is wide spread pain. Besides pain the other symptoms experienced are:
- Fatigue or constant feeling of tiredness
- Disturbed sleep
- Increased sensitivity to pressure with sometimes even a small touch may become unbearable.
- Pricking and tingling sensation in extremities
- Muscle cramps and spasms
- Abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation and diarrhoea
- Weakness of memory
- Low attention span
- Dysmenorrhoea or painful menstrual cycles
- Restless leg syndrome
- Increased sensitivity to light, sound, temperature and pressure
Diagnosis: There is no specific test for Fibromyalgia. It is suspected when there is wide spread pain for more than three months with no identifiable cause for the same and presence of tender spots along with eliminating other causes like Ankylosing spondylitis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroidism, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Myasthenia gravis and Multiple Sclerosis.
Homeopathy Treatment: is safe and effective way of treating patients suffering from Fibromyalgia without any side effects. Homeopathy medication is selected by careful individualization based on patient’s mental, physical and emotional symptoms. These medications act on the dynamic plane and help in not only reducing the pain but also improve the patient’s energy levels and overall quality of life.